Good on you both and everyone else involved in this project. I travel from Melton to the City and return 5 days a week. Each month I submit my monthly ticket with a list on various problems and just get the same default letter back apart from once I received a phone call when I complained online.
Here are some of the problems I encounter almost everyday:
- overcrowding - getting to the point that there has been one fist fight, Connex train travellers can pack in like sardines but with Vline when there are too many people standing up we are told to get off the train if standing and catch the next train. I am 7 months pregnant at the moment and have had to sit on the floor on many occasions and when I have complained to Vline I was told to try and get there another 5 minutes early - already getting there 10 minutes earlier than the train departs from Southern Cross.
- Travelling into the city is not so bad. Getting home can be a real problem. We get stuck behind the Connex train from Footscray to Sunshine (stopping all stations). I am really lucky that I have family looking after my two kids otherwise I would not be able to work in the city and unfortunately with my job it is very hard to get a matching salary in the west compared to the city so that is why I travel. If I had my kids in child-care with the times that I would pick them up late I could not afford to work in the city at all.
- As Melton station has only one validating machine - you are meant to but sometime the line is 20 metres long to validate your ticket at Melton station and if you wait in line you miss the train.
- Lack of trains. In a growing suburb (3rd fastest growing city in Australia) generally 2 trains an hour is a weekend service not a peak hour service.
- I would be interested to hear how Deer Park residents travel. Very few people get on this train in an area that is becoming very populated with new housing estates. Why is this so - no seats, little standing room, Zone 2 fare instead of driving 5-10 minutes to Albion or Sunshine for a Zone 1 fare. This station is 20-25 minutes from the city and still has a vline service.
- The red trains (not sure what these are called) are just so slow and out of date.
Whats your experience of the Melton service?